Join statement about the brutal attack committed by tycoon , Sok Bun,and his guard against Ek Socheata (Sasa)
Phnom Penh 10 July 2015 -We all, members of the Gender and Development Network (GADNet), Cambodian Men’s Network (CMN), Southeast Asian Regional Program (JASS) in Cambodia, NGO-CEDAW and One Billion Rising Cambodia as well as other youth groups working to promote women’s rights in Cambodia, absolutely condemn the use of cruel and heinous violence with the aim of breaking up the women’s spirit and trampling over women’s dignity.
The social media and some local press organizations have lately published an outstanding case of physical violence against a woman. On July 2, 2015, Oknha Sok Bun and his personal bodyguards committed a serious and obscene physical violence against Miss Ek Socheata alias Sasa.
- The Constitution of the Kingdom of Cambodia, article 45 (paragraph 1)
- The Penal Code of the Kingdom of Cambodia (articles 217 and 218)
- The National Action Plan to Prevent Violence Against Women (NAPVAW)
- The International Convention on Elimination of all forms of Discrimination Against Women (CEDAW)
- The UN’s CEDAW Committee’s Concluding Observations (item 9) of the Cambodian 4th and 5th Combined Periodical Report on the Implementation of CEDAW
We steadfastly condemn the perpetrator and solemnly call on all relevant institutions, particularly the Phnom Penh Court of First Instance to take immediate actions to solve the abovementioned case and other cases of violence against women that have happened so far, and to further prevent/stop more cases of violence against women.
For more information, please contact:
- Ms. Ros Sopheap, Gender and Development Network (GADNet), 012 627 857
- Mr. Ou Ratanak, Youth Representative, 017 855 969/087 297 999
- Mr. Nen Phearith, Representative of OBR, 085 253 545
- Ms. Chim Chan Neang, NGO-CEDAW Coordinator, 012 668 853
- Ms. Chan Kunthea, JASS Regional Coordinator, 012 854 295
- Mr. Chhay Kimsore, CMN National Coordinator, 012 627 837